Terrific Tofu Taco Meat is tofu that is perfectly flavored with just the right blend of spices and tastes like taco meat. Perfect for breakfast tacos, chili, enchiladas, chili rellenos, puffy tacos, street tacos, egg scrambles…the list goes on and on! Flavor and texture, bite for bite, it’s… well… simply terrific!
The Perfect Texture
That’s important, the perfect texture. Tofu gets such a bad rap sometimes simply because it’s not prepared correctly. When I first started cooking tofu I had no idea what I was doing. I followed recipes but the tofu always came out tasting like TOFU and not whatever it was supposed to taste like. So I decided to conduct an experiment.
After draining and rinsing tofu use paper towels or rags to press out all the moisture.
I made recipes to where there was some sort of tofu marinade that would make it all taste so yummy once marinated. My experience was the tofu either fell all apart and/or totally didn’t hold any of the marinade. So my experimenting continued.
Tofu after you’ve been pressing on it with those paper towels or rags. 🙂
Then I read about frying tofu in a skillet but I really didn’t want all that extra oil, fat, calories, grease, etc.
With a potato masher, break tofu into ground meat sized pieces.
So I decided to treat tofu like meat. Why not just use a regular spice mix that you use would on beef tacos and see if it sticks?
Add spice mixture and stir.
Guess what? The spice mixture does stick!!! And you can make a double batch, keep it in an airtight container, and then get out a tablespoon or two whenever you need it without having to mix all the spices together every time. Convenience. Who doesn’t love that?
Spread on foil lined baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 14 to 20 minutes.
It’s so simple, I can’t believe I thought of it. I’m sure others have too, I guess I just never found the right recipe. Until now of course.
Seriously. Look at that picture above. If you didn’t know it was tofu would you think it was ground beef? Come on… be honest. I’ll let you in on a secret. My carnivore hubby doesn’t just tolerate it, he likes it. Honest. Cross my heart.
The “meat” can be used in SO many dishes! Enchiladas, chili, stuffed peppers, egg scrambles, breakfast tacos, hashbrown casseroles…the list goes on and on. It’s healthy. Vegetarian. Vegan. Gluten Free. It’s Terrific Tofu Taco Meat. Say that 3 times really fast. 🙂
Terrific Tofu Taco Meat is tofu that is perfectly flavored with just the right blend of spices and tastes like taco meat.
- 1 package (16 ounces) hard tofu
For Seasoning Mix (once all spices are mixed, use 1.5 to 2 Tablespoons per One brick of Tofu)
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce (optional for extra heat!)
- Mix all seasonings in a bowl (except Sriracha if using) and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse and drain the two bricks of tofu. Place one brick between paper towels or rags, and press down firmly and hold to squeeze liquid from tofu. Repeat until all liquid is gone. Repeat process with second brick. Set aside.
- Take one brick, put into mixing bowl. Use potato masher and break tofu into crumbled meat size pieces.
- Use 1.5 to 2 Tablespoons of Taco Meat Seasoning PER ONE BRICK and pour into bowl. Mix well with tofu until it’s totally covered with all the spices. Add Sriracha now if desired for extra heat.
- Spread tofu out in a single layer onto a foil lined baking sheet (spray the foil first with non stick cooking spray). Bake at 400 for 14 to 20 minutes. If you want the meat more moist, bake for 14 minutes. If you want the meat to be crunchy, bake for 20 minutes. It’s hard to “flip” the tofu so stir with a spatula halfway through baking time.
- Remove tofu, place in bowl, and repeat entire process with the second tofu brick.
- Use tofu immediately or place in airtight container in refrigerator.
- Terrific Tofu Taco Meat will keep in your refrigerator for 5 to 7 days.
- You can use it in almost any dish you can think of to replace a spicy Mexican taco flavor.
- If using for tacos or enchiladas, don’t forget the Guacamole and Pico de Gallo.
- If you’d like a great sauce for your dish, try Roasted Poblano Sauce added into or poured over Terrific Tofu Taco Meat.
Keywords: tofu, tofu taco, mexican food, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free