Spicy Sofritas are healthy, easy to make, and versatile. You can put Sofritas in Buddha bowls, in a burrito, on tacos, in chili, or even in little guacamole boats because they are super cute! Spicy Sofritas is a must try recipe for any Mexican food lover.
Spicy Sofritas are naturally Vegan and Gluten Free.
Naturally Vegan and Gluten Free. How can this get any easier or healthier? You simply start with 2 full batches (16 ounces total) of my Terrific Tofu Taco Meat. Instead of using 1.5 to 2 Tablespoons of the spice, only use 1 Tablespoon per 8 ounces. You’re going to be getting a lot of flavor from the rest of the recipe!
While the Terrific Tofu Taco Meat is cooking, start sauteing the onion in olive oil in a skillet (with sides) over medium heat. Once the onion is translucent you add the other ingredients, cook a few more minutes, then set it aside and wait until the Terrific Tofu Taco Meat is ready.
Add the “meat” and stir.
It’s really that easy. You can use the Sofritas for any bowls you’d like to make, or burritos, tacos, chili, etc. And to make this even MORE special you can freeze the extra Sofritas in the freezer and take it out and use it whenever you need it. Once thawed don’t forget to pair it with my Holy Guacamole. Can you really have Mexican food without guacamole? I think not!!!
Spicy Sofritas. Healthy, check. Easy, check. Super tasty, check. Can store leftovers in the freezer, check. Makes everyone in your family super happy when they get to eat it, check check CHECK! 🙂
Spicy Sofritas are healthy, easy to make, and versatile. You can put Sofritas in Buddha bowls, in a burrito, on tacos, in chili, or even in little guacamole boats because they are super cute! This is a must try recipe for any Mexican food lover. Naturally Vegan and Gluten free.
- 1 pound Terrific Tofu Taco Meat
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2.5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth, divided in half.
- 1 Tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 Tablespoon of sauce, from chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 Tablespoon jalapeno juice, from jarred jalapenos (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook 16 ounces of Terrific Tofu Taco Meat (this would be one container of tofu). Follow all directions for cooking EXCEPT reduce spice mixture to only 1 Tablespoon per 8 ounces.
- While the tofu is cooking in the oven, heat 2.5 Tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet (with sides) over medium heat. Add chopped onion and 1/2 cup of the vegetable broth. Saute until onion is translucent.
- Add minced garlic, 1 Tablespoon Chipotle in Adobo Sauce. (just sauce, no peppers)
- Mince enough of the chipotle peppers to equal close to 1 Tablespoon. This is going to make it pretty spicy so if you like add only 1/2 Tablespoon first and once everything is mixed together you can always go back and add the other 1/2 to add extra spice.
- Add the minced peppers and cook for a minute or two so the flavors will mix.
- Add cooked tofu, black beans, the other 1/2 cup of the vegetable broth, and jalapeno juice (optional). Cook a minute or two to mix flavors.
- Serves 4 to 6.
- Stores in refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
- Freezes well so great recipe to keep on hand for meal prepping.
- Jalapeno juice – I like a bit of “twang” to my food so the jalapeno juice gives it a little zest almost like a bit of lemon.
Keywords: Vegan Mexican Food, Gluten free Mexican Food, Sofritas, Mexican Tofu, Black Beans