Southern Stuffed Cornbread is healthy, plant based comfort food at it’s best! Gluten Free homemade cornbread stuffed with my perfectly spiced tofu taco meat, kidney beans and “cheese” make it more than just cornbread, it’s a meal!
Southern Stuffed Cornbread
It’s fall y’all! I know it’s still warm outside (at least in Texas it is!) but let’s pretend and start breaking out the cold weather comfort food. Oh comfort food, let me count the ways that I love you.
We all think of cornbread as a southern dish. And while it’s true that it is mostly cooked in the south, it actually was made by Native American Indians. The Indians would use maize and mix it with salt and water. The European Settlers discovered the treat when they came to the New World. And the rest, as they would say, is history.
I’m starting my new blog today. It’s titled “Food Fight” and will be updated weeklyish with my latest endeavors in my attempt to achieve optimal health. If you’ve read my new and improved “About” page then you’ll know I’ve had many struggles with health and now that I’ve changed my diet I’m getting better every day. This recipe is just one of many that I can eat and feel really healthy and happy afterwards!
The recipe is super easy.
Start with gluten free cornmeal, mix with a little gluten free all purpose flour, add a can of creamed corn (“creamed” sounds like it has dairy in it but it does not), sugar, baking powder and melted non dairy margarine. It can all be whisked together in one bowl! I love one bowl recipes, so convenient and easy to clean up. Gotta love the easy clean up!
If you don’t already have a batch of terrific tofu taco meat handy, then start it cooking in the oven while you’re mixing up the cornbread. It’s really easy if you double the spice mixture for the terrific tofu taco meat and keep the extra spices stored in an airtight container in your pantry. Then it’s ready to go and all you have to do is mix with the tofu and toss it into the oven.
Pour half the cornbread mixture into a greased 8×8 square baking dish. Then layer the terrific tofu taco meat, a handful of rinsed kidney beans, a handful of the veggie “cheese” of your choice, then repeat 2 more times until all the “stuffing” ingredients are used. Bake for 40 minutes at 350. Let sit for about 10 minutes before cutting. Plate and get ready for a comforting, healthy, sweet, meaty, cheesy treat. Top with anything you think you’d like. I personally enjoy avocado, or guacamole on top with a little drizzle of sriracha. Enjoy!
Southern Stuffed Cornbread is healthy, plant based comfort food at it’s best! Gluten Free homemade cornbread stuffed with my perfectly spiced tofu taco meat, kidney beans and “cheese” make it more than just cornbread, it’s a meal! Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free.
For cornbread batter –
- 1 cup gluten free cornmeal
- 1/3 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 15 oz can creamed style corn
- 1/2 cup melted non dairy margarine
- 3 teaspoons organic cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1/4 pickled diced jalapenos (optional but suggested)
For the stuffing –
- 1 8 ounce batch terrific tofu taco meat
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup veggie cheese. I suggest a Mexican or Cheddar blend
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
For the cornbread batter –
- Put margarine into a 2 cup microwave safe glass measuring cup. Microwave until margarine is soft and mostly melted and equals 1/2 cup.
- Put melted margarine, cornmeal, flour, creamed corn, diced jalapenos, sugar and baking powder into a mixing bowl and hand whisk together until blended. Set aside.
For the stuffing –
- Make one 8 ounce batch of terrific tofu taco meat. Once cooked set aside.
- Drain and rinse kidney beans. Set aside half a can’s worth of beans.
- Measure 1 cup of veggie cheese and set aside.
Stuffing the cornbread –
- Grease a 8×8 glass baking dish. Pour 1/2 of the cornbread batter into the dish.
- Take 1/3 of the taco meat and sprinkle evenly over the batter, then 1/3 of the beans, and then 1/3 of the cheese.
- Repeat until all three are used.
- Pour remaining cornbread batter on top of the taco meat, beans and cheese.
- Cook for 40 minutes (or until firm).
- Sprinkle an extra bit of cheese on top for color and let cook another 3 minutes or until cheese is melted (optional).
- Once done, let the southern stuffed cornbread cool about 10 minutes before slicing.
- Plate and top with any of your favorite toppings.
- Cover and keep in refrigerator for 5 to 7 days.
- Reheats well in microwave or oven.
- Does not freeze.
- Would make a good alternative as a stuffing for the holidays.
Keywords: Vegan, gluten free, southern cornbread, stuffing, plant based