Italian Spiced Tomato Pizza is a quick, easy, healthy, beautiful pizza. Simply slice baby heirloom tomatoes, add any other vegetables you like, and then top with the secret ingredient – the Italian Spice blend. All this flavor and beauty and it’s Vegan and Gluten Free. Whoop Whoop!
Italian Spiced Tomato Pizza
Vegan and Gluten Free. Two words that are dear to my heart. I’m hoping if you read this you don’t stop at those two words but continue on and here’s why. Everyone has their own diet choices. Any recipe can be adapted. So if you look at this and think “wow!” and stop at Vegan or Gluten Free, remember you can always add to it, use a different crust, etc. to make it fit your lifestyle. I’m not forcing mine on anyone, it’s just my preference and since I kinda have to eat whatever I just cooked then it’s going to be what I can eat. 🙂
I actually used a gluten free crust recipe I found off an individual’s Instagram account. Although the crust looks really pretty, if it hadn’t been for the Italian Spice blend and olive oil, it would have been tasteless. So if you are going to make your own gluten free crust I recommend Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza Dough Mix. I’m not a paid endorser, it’s just my preference. But I’m going to keep trying others and if I find one I like better I will let you know.
I topped the pizza with the Italian Spice blend and olive oil, then the tomatoes, red onions, and baby portabellas. Then I sprinkled some of the Spice Blend on top and cooked. Once done, I let it cool about 5 minutes, topped it with arugula and sliced away. Yummmmmmm!!!
The recipe below is mainly for the Italian Spice blend because this pizza is so versatile that I’m sure many will want to put their own creative twist on it. And if you do, please comment below. I love to hear how someone made it their own! Enjoy!!!
Italian Spiced Tomato Pizza is a quick, easy, healthy, beautiful pizza. Simply slice baby heirloom tomatoes, add any other vegetables you like, and then top with the secret ingredient – the Italian Spice blend. Vegan and Gluten Free.
Italian Spice Blend
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- One 10 to 12 inch Pizza Crust of your choice (Vegan and GF diets choose accordingly)
- 1 pint baby heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced (or other tomatoes of your choice)
- Red onion, thinly sliced
- Baby portabella mushrooms, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian Spice Blend, plus some for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Italian Spice Blend
- Put all of the dried herbs and garlic clove (leave out olive oil and lemon juice) into a small chopper or mini food processor and process until well blended.
- Add olive oil and lemon juice and stir.
- Taste test to see if you want more or less salt, etc. Keep in mind that whatever you add it to will have salt and flavors as well.
- Take 1 Tablespoon of the Italian Spice Blend and put it into a small bowl and mix it with 2 Tablespoons olive oil, set aside for pizza.
- The remaining spice blend you can store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- Prepare crust according to directions. Cook only 1/4 of the time it says to cook the crust. Take out of the oven but leave the oven on.
- Use the Italian Spice Blend that you mixed with the 2 Tablespoons olive oil and brush it over the top of the crust until coated.
- Layer the crust with the thinly sliced tomatoes, mushrooms and onions or any vegetables of your choice.
- Sprinkle a bit of the loose Italian Spice Mixture over the top of all the vegetables and put back into the oven and cook for the remaining time that it says to cook the crust.
- Once crust is golden brown and vegetables have cooked down a bit, remove from oven.
- Wait 5 minutes until slicing and adding arugula or any greens of your choice.
- Pizza is best when eaten immediately. Can be kept in refrigerator for 3 days. Best to reheat in oven to keep crust crisp. Microwave reheating will make the crust flimsy.
- Serves 2 to 4.
- Italian Spice Blend is great to keep on hand. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 month. It is super tasty mixed with olive oil for dipping Ciabatta or any crusty bread into for an appetizer.
- Nutritional information at the bottom is only for the Italian Spice Blend.
Keywords: Pizza, Gluten Free, Vegan, Tomato, Italian food