Hearty Split Pea and Potato Soup is absolute comforting deliciousness. Full of fresh split peas, this plant based recipe is warm, filling, and the perfect soup for fall.
Fall is finally here in Texas. It’s been raining a BUNCH and in the 40’s which is average winter temps for us so the weather for October has been totally crazy and not the norm. But oh today. Today is sunny and breezy and 60 something degrees. I love Fall!!! And there is NOTHING better to cozy up to in cooler weather than a big bowl of warm homemade soup.
Only 10 ingredients.
I love tasty yet easy recipes. If you’ve looked at other recipes on this website you can see that most of them are pretty simple. They don’t have a bunch of “only use once a year” expensive ingredients plus the steps are easy to follow. Hearty Split Pea and Potato Soup is another tasty yet simple recipe. It takes about 1.5 hours total from start to finish but ohhhhh, it is worth the wait.
Pair the soup with a healthy side salad like Quinoa and Roasted Veggie Salad, or simply eat it alone with a fresh french baguette (if following a gluten free diet make sure the bread is gluten free). And the carrot hearts? Who can resist a food with a heart on it? 🙂
Gotta give a shout out!
These AWESOME coconut bowls were sent to me by Buddha Bowls Coconut Bowls. Now most people make smoothies and showcase their fruity concoction in their coconut bowls. But you know I had to do something different. And the green color of the soup with the cool brown marbled bowl – I couldn’t pass it up. Thank you Joy for the beautiful bowls and utensils!
Hearty Split Pea and Potato Soup is absolute comforting deliciousness. Full of fresh split peas, this plant based recipe is warm, filling, and the perfect soup for fall. Vegan and Gluten Free.
- 1 16 ounce bag of dried split peas
- 8 cups 1/3 less sodium vegetable broth
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Oregano
- Over medium heat, saute onion with salt in olive oil until translucent. (The salt makes the onion sweat and will cook faster).
- Add the garlic, oregano and black pepper (The soup has a peppery taste so if you want less of a pepper taste start with 1/2 teaspoon. You can always add more pepper at the end if you like). Stir and cook another minute or two but do not let the onion or garlic burn.
- Add the celery, potato, half the bag of split peas, and the veggie broth and simmer uncovered for 35 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the rest of the peas and simmer, uncovered, another 35 minutes.
- This will make a very thick and hearty soup. If it’s getting too thick and you have another 10 to 15 minutes to cook, cover the pot to retain moisture. You can also add another cup or more of veggie broth to get it to the consistency that you like.
- Once it’s done, serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Serves 8
- Keeps refrigerated for up to 7 days
Keywords: Vegan soup, gluten free soup, split pea, healthy soup, potato soup